The hardest thing about a mental illness is stigma...from friends...from family...from health practitioners...from strangers. But the hardest stigma to get past is your own stigma towards your illness.
It's easy to think you're broken and you're out of control. You're crazy and your doctor can even provide you with a certificate proving it.
You're still you though. Nothing has changed there...YOUR MENTAL ILLNESS DOES NOT DEFINE YOU. You don't go around saying "hi, I have the flu", you say "hi, my name is..." Being sick does not change you, it just presents a challenge.
There is no easy way to tackle stigma. I find it easiest to talk to people, to explain what's going on and why I'm doing weird things. Usually I have difficulty with talking out loud but I enjoy writing. Writing this blog helps me.
Don't be afraid to talk. Talking can help. It can be really scary to begin with but the more you tell people what's going on, the more they can understand. I can't guarantee that everyone will understand but it will help you.
Mental illness is not a stereotype. You're not a bad person. You're just sick. It's just the same as any other illness. And it can be treated like any other illness...and it also makes you feel like any other illness (tired, nauseous, etc). It's not a failure. You're not a failure because you're ill. Don't ever let anyone tell you you are because you're not. Illness is not a failure at all.
It's hard but try to stop feeling guilty about being sick. If you had the flu, what would you do? You'd snuggle in bed, take some meds and look after yourself. It's the same with mental illness. Take care of yourself and get well.
No comments:
Post a Comment