Saturday, 22 July 2017

Break it down

Every time I have to go out anywhere...an appointment...an event...a convention...my anxiety decides to skyrocket. Which makes me flustered and pretty much incapable of doing anything.

But I have learned some tricks to help.

Firstly...be organised. If you're going somewhere and you need documents, gather those documents up before hand and pop them in your bag. I always have my bag completely set up, with wallet, charger and keys. I also make sure it has hand sanitiser so I feel comfortable touching things. Because it's already set up, just needs my phone, it makes it easier for me to not forget things when the anxiety hits.

Take time to yourself before a situation that will give you anxiety.  Even if it's just alone time in the shower. I personally like to cuddle up with my cat and read a bit. I find warmth important, I feel more anxious when I'm cold. Relaxing will help reduce your anxiety as it reduces your heart rate.

If you have a list of things to do, make it a physical list you can see. Because your brain on anxiety is going to forget things. If you have a list then ticking things off that list can also make you feel like you accomplished something.

Focus on the positive...I'm usually super anxious because my brain is tossing up all these scenarios where I'm going to get hurt...maybe there will be drama amongst friends or personal attacks from my family, etc. There's always a positive though...yeah, there might be some unpleasantness but spending time with friends is rare and precious. Or there's a nice meal and mostly fun at family dinners.

Don't forget recovery...so much anxiety makes you absolutely exhausted at the end. Make sure you take some time for yourself, just to relax and recharge your batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment