Panic attacks are as scary as hell...don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It's important to know what your brain is doing when you're having a panic attack.
You're in a game, wandering around, minding your own business...when some music comes on. Right away you start analysis...ok, there's an enemy around...is it an underling or a boss? You lean forward...your breath is started to be a little short, your heart rate has picked up in anticipation. You reach the source of the music...and it's an underling. Ok...threat registered, heart rate goes back down...and underling is swiftly dispatched. But wait...the music hasn't stopped yet...suddenly a big BIG BOSS comes barreling out! Omg! Where did he come from? He's way too big to tackle...so you make your character run away. You need to level up a bit to beat him.
This is pretty much how people react in a high stress enviroment. There's a threat...your brain registers it...and then it switches over to what I call "primitive brain". Your body starts to produce adrenaline to help spur you into action...and your heart rate rises. Your primitive brain then chooses a response...freeze, then flight or fight.
Now most people's brains work normally like this. If you're like me and prone to panic attacks...your brain works a little differently. And it's to do with the registering of a threat.
You're back wandering the game world. Music comes on...ooo, what is this? Anticipation...adrenaline...AARGH...IT'S A BOSS! Run away! More music...ANOTHER BOSS! Run away! What's that rustling in the trees? HELP! A BOSS! ...starting to feel tired now... THERE'S ANOTHER ONE! ...my muscles are screaming, everything's on edge... WHY IS THERE A BOSS IN THE SAFE ZONE? ...I can't deal with this...
See, our brain registers every supposed threat as a boss. It's life or death. Some people see a teeny tiny spider...I see Shelob from Lord of the Rings. And when I'm overwhelmed, it's even worse.
Fortunately...in some cases there are ways to help. Start observing your behaviour when you panic...which takes a lot of practice. Why are you panicking? What is the trigger? If the trigger is something you can avoid...avoid it. Notice your breathing. If it's shallow and your heart is racing, you need to slow it down. Take a deep breath...and another...and another...keep deep breathing until your heart rate has reduced.
Tomorrow, I'm going to talk about your primitive brain...stay tuned.
I need to say here that I'm NOT a psychologist...I'm just using techniques that I know work for me...and they may help you.
No comments:
Post a Comment