Starting with disclaimer because I'm not a psychologist...these are techniques that work for ME and some of them could work for you.
Your brain's locked in primitive brain overdrive and you're finding it hard to function? Here's my main tips for helping.
First...BREATHE.
It seems a no brainer but this one is actually really hard to remember when you start shallow breathing due to adrenaline. Your heart is signalling your brain that it's ready for action...even when it doesn't need to be 😒 How to try and calm it down? DEEP BREATHES. Take a long breath...hold it...then breathe out, blowing all the air out. And repeat, until you feel more relaxed.
Be in a safe place.
Safe places are so important...you need to have a space to yourself where you can just be you and relax. Most people with anxiety like blankets to feel weight and to keep warm...I have a few baby blankets that I picked up cheap and they're a perfect size.
Sometimes it's hard to be in a safe place all the time...but creating a space just for you in your home is important. As is having even an hour or so "you time" to just recharge.
Exercise
Sometimes a nice brisk walk can run off some of that excess adrenaline and make it easier to relax.
Basics
What I call "basics" is pretty much what you need to function. Primitive brain sometimes makes you forget important stuff...like eating and sleeping 😒 It's only designed to work for a short period of time.
The basics are EAT, SLEEP and SHOWER. Nibble on something if you have no motivation to cook. Have some ready made food on hand...soups, oats...things that you can pull out and eat with minimal effort. Insomnia is difficult...have a sleep routine. Go to bed at the same time each night. Make winding down rituals. Turn off notifications for social media. I like to use a lamp because it makes my room dim and I don't have to get up to turn it off. If you can't sleep...don't force it. As soon as you start to think "I must sleep...I must sleep!", primitive brain is going to wake up and say hello...which will make it more difficult to sleep. Try to achieve RELAXING instead. Feel comfortable, feel warm. The more you relax, the more easy it is to sleep.
Showering is something I usually forget the most...and it usually makes me feel gross. If you haven't showered, you feel gross and dirty...and it's a lot easier to believe the lies your brain tells you. Having a shower will lift your mood and make you feel good. I prefer to use particular scents in the shower that I enjoy and that makes me feel good as well.
Be gentle
Sometimes it's just too bloody hard. If you can't get out of bed one day...that's OK. Rest and try again tomorrow. Just KEEP TRYING. It can be disheartening when you don't succeed...but you need to tell yourself that it's TEMPORARY. You're going to succeed eventually and when you do, reward yourself. Even if it's with something simple like a coffee or treat. Your brain is often weak to bribery, surprisingly.
I have this gaming thing where I list things as achievements to be unlocked...got into clothes today? Yay! Clothing achievement unlocked! Just saying that links it to the feeling you get when you unlock a game achievement...little things can help.
No comments:
Post a Comment